POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Just a ring... [2 x 220 KB] : Re: Just a ring... [2 x 220 KB] Server Time
13 Aug 2024 07:18:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Just a ring... [2 x 220 KB]
From: St
Date: 22 Apr 2003 09:09:44
Message: <3ea53f18@news.povray.org>
"Andrew Coppin" <orp### [at] btinternetcom> wrote in message

> PPS. The reason I actually set about drawing this is that I'd like
to BUY
> myself such a ring - or rather, have someone buy one for me - and I
wanted
> to illustrate the kind of ring I wanted. What do people think? Does
it make
> me look too girly??

   Well, being a jeweller, I would say that ring 2 would be more
manly.

> PPPS. I wonder how many gemstones can just magically attach
themselves to a
> ring without any kind of "setting"...

  Firstly, you wouldn't get a stone cut like that unless you can get
something like tourmaline in its original form (what's known as
'rough'), and then have it custom cut to your specs. Secondly, you
could have it set so that it appears as though it doesn't have a
setting by having a groove cut out of the four sides of the stone and
then the jeweller would push the gold into that groove to hold it.

   Nice idea.

   ~Steve~